THAÍS ALVARENGA


THAÍS ALVARENGA 

Creative Technologist  |  Narrative Designer  |  Environmental Designer  |  
11/04/2023

FINISHING SOLACE: COLORING ANIMATIONS, MORE SAND FOR XR, INSTALLATION STUFF!





Summary: Changed color palette of my animations to better match the environment. Colored in animations. Added sand particle system instead of hands in the Oculus build. Fixed pacing of both animations and the animation appearance in the Unity scene. Working in the sound. Got everything for the installation (inshAllah).




Animation


I spent the whole weekend finishing up the coloring of the animations. I had a bit of user testing on Thursday-Friday. The feedback I got was that the color palette I was using last week did not look very good in the environment. The darks where too dark and the colors looked off. The dark face of the character made it less appealing (I was trying to make it look like a shadow but instead I got creepy ;-;).

I spent a lot of time on Friday changing the color palette to match the environment better and to make the character more appealing. I decided to remove the mask from the character design and opted for dark but warm colors for the clothes while keeping the face a skin-ish type of color that still contrasted the desert environment.

This is how the animations are looking like:







I was able to export these new assets into my Unity project to replace the stills I had (I think the stills look nice but the animations look more like they are part of the environment).

Having all the characters in one sprite made it look very flat, so I opted for having each character be its own sprite to add dimension.

Though I really like how the animations look, I am worried about one thing: I am not sure whether they look like shadows or if the user will be clear that they are emerging from the shadows. I have some user tests scheduled for tomorrow, so we’ll see then.

Also, I just want to put a picture of my animation setup here because I am very happy about it. It is very comfortable:





Oculus Build


Last week I got the Oculus build to work with the camera path. Based on feedback from professor Slavica, I decided to change the XR interactable handles to something more interesting that has to do with the environment. I decided to use a sand particle system to replace the raycast in the XR handles. I think they look pretty neat and have an intersting feel to them. They also are a way for the user to locate themselves in the path. More user testing will define if I should keep this feature for the exhibition.


Installation


With the help of Steven from the theater department, I was able to secure a majilis to place on my installation. He gave me way more than I need, but the good thing is that I could stack the majilis to make it higher.

This is the cart filled with majilis cushions.





Since they only had the bottom part, I might be using the pillows from the capstone studio. They are from the prop loan and both Kyle and Steven said I could use them.

Finally, I also got this stand for the oculus device and the headphones. I didn’t want things just laying around the installation, so I thought that maybe having somewhere to place them will prompt the audience to put the headphones and/or headset back in place. Depending on the pedestal, I might have just the Oculus in the stand or both the Oculus and the headphones.

I think it looks pretty cool.





The Mac mini has a built with the new assets and the first scene of the project. I am debating between improving the sound design of the experience for the exhibition or just adding the whole story (I really want to show those animations). It will depend on how much time I have this week outside setting up for the exhibition, BUT I have a pretty good idea of how the layout is going to be and I think I have everything I need to place the things in the Black Box.

I am very excited!

Feel free to reach out to me for more work inquiries or to chat!


Thank you for visiting!

©2023 Thaís Alvarenga. All Rights Reserved.